Banner Advertise

Monday, February 11, 2008

[chottala.com] Disabled woman honored for her contributions to society

 Dear All,
 
 Please read and forward this news to other people/groups as it can be a great way of inspiration to help the disable people to become more optimistic,enthusiastic instead of being depressed and losing hope in their lives.
THANKS

Yemen Observer: http://www.yobserver.com

Disabled woman honored for her contributions to society

Posted in: News Varieties
Written By: Eman al-Jarady
Article Date: Jan 22, 2008 - 4:20:22 AM
 disable_woman1.jpg
Jamalh al-Bedhani talks with a disabled child.
Jamalh al-Bedhani, the Head of the Challenge Association for Physically Disabled Women, was honored last week by the Basmati Center for Service and Development (BCSD) as one of the leading Arabic citizens for her outstanding work in developments for the disabled.

Al-Bedhani's Challenge Association aims to help disabled women and offer them all the services necessary for their daily life and work. There are more than 1,100 disabled women who belong to this association. Al-Bedhani also plans to establish a city, the first of its kind in the Middle East, which caters specifically to the needs of the disabled. The city will be ready to receive disabled citizens in three years. 

BCSD asked those bodies concerned for recommendations of people who deserved to be honored and they were told that al-Bedhani really deserved this prize because of her wonderful work. Al-Bedhani said that she feels she was chosen because of her work helping disabled women in Yemen and enabling them to become effective members of the community. 

"They said that my work has really affected the community and left an amazing impression," said al-Bedhani. "We have managed to make these people enthusiastic." She said that the real honor for her is to see the result of her work among disabled people and to see them happy, giving them a ray of hope for the future. "When I see the smiles on people's faces, I feel very happy; I feel that I have done something for this community," she said.

Al-Bedhani said that people now praise her work because they know that she is doing something for their daughters, but that this was not always the case. "When I started working in this field, many people laughed at me and said that I could not run such an association because I am myself disabled. But now I feel it is different and people praise my work and that makes me really happy. To me, that is the real honor. When I was recognized, I felt that people were really happy for me and they clapped strongly for me. At that moment, I felt that people really knew who al-Bedhani was." 

disable_woman.jpg
"It was a real honor for me when I was asked to choose one of my disabled colleagues who works in my association. I feel that I helped these women to succeed in their lives and to become effective members of society." She said that she feels that she helped these girls to become optimistic instead of being depressed and losing hope in their lives. Being disabled, being female, being poor - these are all factors making women in our community suffer, she added.

"I feel that my message has been understood in the minds of all people," al-Bedhani said. "It is not only me who made this association successful, but all those who have worked and helped me to realize the association's goals."

This is the tenth time that al-Bedhani has received special recognition for her work. Among various other honors, in 2006 she was chosen by a development foundation from Abu Dhabi as an Arabic woman who has made significant contributions in the field of development and to the improvement of her community.



Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address. __._,_.___

[* Moderator's Note - CHOTTALA is a non-profit, non-religious, non-political and non-discriminatory organization.

* Disclaimer: Any posting to the CHOTTALA are the opinion of the author. Authors of the messages to the CHOTTALA are responsible for the accuracy of their information and the conformance of their material with applicable copyright and other laws. Many people will read your post, and it will be archived for a very long time. The act of posting to the CHOTTALA indicates the subscriber's agreement to accept the adjudications of the moderator]




Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___