Kamaruzzaman verdict: Death sentence executed(Updated)
Dhaka, May 9(Priyo.com): The verdict of Jamaat-e-Islami Assistant secretary general Muhammad Kamaruzzaman is set to be pronounced soon by the International Crimes Tribunal-2 Thursday, for crimes against humanity in 1971.
Earlier in the morning, Kamaruzzaman was taken to the International Crimes Tribunal from Central Jail to declare judgement.
11:15 am-International Crimes Tribunal-2 started reading out the 215 page summary of the judgement Thursday. The three-member panel of International Crimes Tribunal-2 is set to pronounce its judgement soon.
1:30 pm- The Tribunal has proved five out of the seven charges against Kamaruzzaman, including genocide.
1:57pm- The International Crimes Tribunal-2 announced death sentence against Kamaruzzaman over two charges that have been proved few moments earlier.
Charges that announced death sentence:
o On August 23, 1971, on Kamaruzzaman's instruction, collaborators took Golam Mostafa, son of late Asir Uddin of village Gridda Narayanpur in Sherpur, to an Al-Badr camp. The Jamaat leader and his accomplices brought Mostafa and one Abul Kasem to Serih Bridge and gunned them down. Kasem survived as he jumped into the river but suffered injuries in his fingers. Mostafa died on the spot.
o In the early morning of July 25, 1971, Kamaruzzaman advised members of Al-Badr and Razakar (another auxiliary force) to commit a large scale massacre, in association with Pakistani troops, in Sohagpur village of Nalitabari upazila, Sherpur. The collaborators murdered 164 unarmed civilians, 44 of whom are named, and raped women.
A firm security arrangements has been made at the tribunal premises, Ramna zone police Assistant Commissioner (patrol) Imanul Islam told the media.
According to media, a microbus carrying the Jamaat leader left for the tribunal at 9:28am, Chakbazar Police Station Officer in-Charge Azizul Haque told.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Jamaat leader was brought to Dhaka Central Jail from Kashimpur.
Kamaruzzaman has been charged with seven accounts of crimes against humanity during the Liberation War of Bangladesh in 1971.
The prosecution accused Kamaruzzaman, who then was the head of the Mymensingh unit of Jamaat's student affiliate Islami Chhatra Shangha, of setting up the Al Badr collaborator force with handpicked activists in Jamalpur on April 22. The force was accused of involvement in genocide, killing, rape, looting, arson, and deportation of people in the greater Mymensingh district including Jamalpur, Netrokona, Kishoreganj, Sherpur and Tangail, the prosecution said.
ICT-2 started hearing Kamaruzzaman's case on June 4 last year. ICT-2 is led by Justice Obaidul Hassan.
Charges against Kamaruzzaman
Fazlul Haque was tortured at Ahamed Nagar army camp all night long and shot to death the following day. His body was dumped in a water body.
The collaborators murdered 164 unarmed civilians, 44 of whom are named, and raped women.
The Jamaat leader and his accomplices brought Mostafa and one Abul Kasem to Serih Bridge and gunned them down. Kasem survived as he jumped into the river but suffered injuries in his fingers. Mostafa died on the spot.
On Kamaruzzaman's order, the two along with 11 other civilians were shifted to Jhenaigati Ahamed Nagar camp. Afterwards, eight of them were shot to death. At the time, the accused and his aide Kamran were present.
Tunu was tortured to death. Jahangir was detained but freed later on.
The next morning, along with five others, the father and son were lined up on the bank of river Brahmaputra. Tepa Mia, when he was about to be charged with a bayonet, jumped into the river. As the collaborators fired at him, he received injuries in the leg but managed to escape. But the remaining six got killed.
Kamaruzzaman was arrested in a criminal case on July 13, 2010, and shown arrested on war crimes charges on August 2 the same year.
The prosecution pressed formal charges against him incorporating nine counts of crimes against humanity on January 15, 2012, and Tribunal-1 took the charges into cognisance on January 31. The case was transferred to Tribunal-2 on April 16, 2012.
On June 4, 2012, the tribunal indicted Kamaruzzaman on seven charges of crimes against humanity, including murder and torture of unarmed civilians and complicity in other crimes during the nine-month-long war.
The indictment order, in a brief profile of the accused, said Kamaruzzaman, as the president of Islami Chhatra Sangha of greater Mymensingh in 1971, had played the role of a key organiser in the formation of the Al-Badr force.
Under the leadership of Kamaruzzaman, all members of Chhatra Sangha of greater Mymensingh were absorbed into Al-Badr within a month. They, after receiving summary training, launched atrocities targeting the Hindus and unarmed Bangalee civilians in greater Mymensingh, the order said.
As many as 18 prosecution witnesses, including the investigation officer of the case, testified against the accused, while five people, including Kamaruzzaman's son and brother, testified in favour of the accused between July 15, 2012 and March 24, 2013.
The prosecution and the defence held closing arguments from March 24 until April 16.
The two tribunals dealing with the war crimes cases have already delivered verdicts in three cases. Jamaat Nayeb-e-Ameer Delawar Hossain Sayedee and expelled Jamaat member Abul Kalam Azad were sentenced to death while Jamaat leader Abdul Quader Mollah received life imprisonment.
The verdict delivery in the war crimes case against former Jamaat chief Ghulam Azam is pending with Tribunal-1.
ICT-2 verdict's on the war crimes case against Jamaat leader Abdul Quader Mollah declared
Kamaruzzaman verdict's reactions
ফাঁসির রায়ে গণজাগরণ মঞ্চে উল্লাস, আনন্দ মিছিল
মোরশেদ সরকার ও মাহমুদুল হাসান
কামারুজ্জামানের ফাঁসির আদেশ (ভিডিও)